Augmentative and Alternative Communication
On 1/1/21, the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) moved the administration of the Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) covered benefit to the DDD health plans.
All requests for services and devices that are initiated before January 1, 2021 are administered directly by DDD. All requests for services and devices that are initiated after January 1, 2021 will be administered directly by Mercy Care.
The provider guide below will help providers understand the process and requirements when assisting a member with determining the need for an AAC Device and which AAC device system may best meet the member’s needs.
What is covered in the guide?
- Provider provision for a new AAC device system
- AAC device system forms
- Trial Period
- Prior Authorization Criteria
- Modification of an AAC device system
- Repairs of an AAC device system
- Replacement of an AAC device system
- Coverage Policy
- Training for Professionals and Caregivers
- Coding Information for Medical Policies
For more provider education go to www.mercycareaz.org/providers/ddd-forproviders/education.