Skip to main content

Join Mercy Care Developmental Disabilities

Understanding health benefits can be a challenge. But we’re here to walk you through the process. On this page, you can learn how to apply for Mercy Care Developmental Disabilities. You’ll choose a health plan when you complete your application.  

How to apply

What is Mercy Care Developmental Disabilities?

This plan provides physical and behavioral health care coverage with limited long-term services and supports. We serve members of the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) and Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS). People get long-term care and services for developmental or cognitive disabilities. Our service area is statewide.


What is AHCCCS? 

AHCCCS is short for Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System. It’s the Medicaid agency that serves people who live in Arizona. You’ll see it written as “AHCCCS.” And people call it “access.” AHCCCS offers health services to people who meet certain income and other requirements.  

What is DDD?

What is DDD?

DDD is short for the Division of Developmental Disabilities. They help people who develop severe or chronic disabilities:

  • Before their 18th birthday
  • That limit their ability to do the tasks of daily living

DDD provides services and supports for eligible people in Arizona who have:

  • Autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Epilepsy
  • Cognitive or intellectual disabilities
  • Down syndrome

DDD also provides services and supports for children under age six at risk of having developmental disabilities.

AHCCCS works with DDD to offer health care coverage to people who qualify for the ALTCS. The goal of this plan is to help people be as independent as they can be. The plan also provides support to family members and other caregivers.  

How to qualify

To qualify for Mercy Care Developmental Disabilities, people:

  • Live in the state of Arizona 
  • Voluntarily apply

One of these things also applies if you qualify. You have:

  • A risk of having a developmental disability (up to age 6)  
  • Epilepsy, cerebral palsy, autism, Down syndrome or a cognitive/intellectual disability (over age 6) 
  • A disability that happened before age 18 
  • Functional limits in three of seven major life areas:
    • Self-care: Eating, hygiene, bathing, etc. 
    • Receptive and expressive language: communicating with others 
    • Learning: Getting and processing new info 
    • Mobility: Moving from place to place
    • Self-direction: Managing your finances, protecting your interests, making your own decisions 
    • Capacity for independent living: Needing supervision or help daily 
    • Economic self-sufficiency: Being able to financially support yourself

You can also see the list of people:

Apply for benefits 

You can apply for yourself, your family or someone close to you by email. Download and print the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) eligibility packet. Complete the form. Then, email it to DDD Apply. You can also email with questions about eligibility. 

Need help with your form? Email DDD Customer Service Center. Or call 1-844-770-9500.  

You can learn more facts about DDD at the state’s DDD page. Or check the home page for Mercy Care Developmental Disabilities. 

Options for tribal members

You can join a Mercy Care health plan or the DDD Tribal Health Program. You can also get services through:

  • Indian Health Services Facilities
  • Tribally Operated 638 Health Care Facilities
  • Urban clinics: Urban Indian Health Programs

Need to switch health plans? Visit the DDD Tribal Health Program

Need help with general questions? You can also email Tribal Relations.

No longer qualify for health benefits? 

You may still qualify to get treatment for mental health, drugs or alcohol use. Certain state and federal grants cover treatment. To learn more, call us at 602-263-3000 or 1-800-624-3879 (TTY 711). You can also check “grants for treatment” under the health and wellness tab at the top of this page.

Need language help? 

You can get all our printed materials in other formats. You pay nothing for these materials. This includes your member handbook and provider directory. You can also get info in languages other than English. Call us at 602-263-3000 or 1-800-624-3879 (TTY 711). 

Learn more about language help.


You can call Member Services at 602-263-3000 or 1-800-624-3879 (TTY 711). We’re here for you 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday.